My Ideas for a Title Sequence

Documentary or Indie Film Opening?

Doing a Film Opening Sequence?


My basic idea for a opening sequence is about an ocd teen who doesnt like the fact that the things in his life dont make sense and are in order like things in his room or the city etc.

I started researching title sequences seeing how they worked, I already had the idea in mind that I really want to make my opening sequence indie, to make my audience think, to get hooked on good visuals and an interesting character/story. I knew for both of these I should look at Wes Anderson opening sequences with his intricately shown stories noticed by the audience only if they connect the dots and work out the story. I first looked at ::::

Moonrise Kingdom (http://www.artofthetitle.com/title/moonrise-kingdom/) - This story is very intricate, at least the genre is hard to grasp and the audience guesses that it is about a family of kids but that is all you get, I would like to incorporate some ideas from this such as a narration over the op setting up the story or helping it out - for example in this one Wes Anderson used The Young Person’s Guide to the Orchestra to metaphorically introduce us into the other parts of the family by using the parts of the orchestra family. I then started jotting down ideas (insert image of rough note/ rough story board) and decided a monologue would work well once the main character is seen to make more of a connection between watcher and the struggling protagonist with in the story. So I looked to monologues from famous films, I started with ::::

Ferris Buellers day off --- After the initial setting up of the story of Ferris staying at home after faking being ill he does a monologue to the camera and therefore to the audience this makes him seem like one of the audience making a connection between him and the real world making us want to see what he says next and what he will do with his interesting story. 

Submarine (Ayoade) --- To have a relate-able character that is interesting to the audience to listen to, that is superficial in anyway.


Doing a documentary for an opening sequence? 

I have thought about doing a Documentary title sequence because I like documentaries more than anything, I feel this would be easier to shoot and make it look good but include everything that is needed for the marks, I have begun a film pitch presentation on emaze and am going through the ideas of how to hit every aspect of the mark scheme in the opening sequence.

I feel it is easier to film a documentary in the long run because it doesn't need many different types of shots but it can include them but it may look weird with the common mid shot interviews and random filler shots of "not interview things". I feel it will be hard to engage someone, as one should with a film opening, in a documentary because most of the time people are watching a doc when they already know what it is about and are watching it purely for information/education/pre-conceived  interest. 

For the intro, the basic idea is that we have to have enigma created and just hit the 
criteria. Our doc intro will be on tattoos and how they can impact our generation in the work environment in future. We will just have to make it look more film like with artsy shots. With doing this documentary all the mise en scene would already be there because it is a real world, so would the characters - it wouldn't look like acting because it isn't.